Attack in Pakistan’s China zone leaves 4 dead

Share

People look at the Pear Continental Hotel after an attack Saturday killed a Pakistani navy soldier and four hotel employees.

The ISPR said the terrorists attempted to enter the hotel with the aim of targeting or taking guests hostage.

The Pearl Continental, part of Pakistan's largest five-star hotel chain, is the only luxury hotel in Gwadar, frequented by foreign and Pakistani business delegations as well as diplomats. The reports also claimed that the armed terrorists still holed up in one of the floors.

The report further said that additional police force, ATF (anti-terrorism force) and army have been called in to handle the situation.

The military said a security guard was shot dead at the entrance when three gunmen stormed the hotel but all guests had been removed to safety.

One official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorised to talk to the media, told Reuters most guests had been evacuated.

The Chinese embassy in Pakistan said: "We appreciate the courageous steps taken by Pakistan Army and security agencies".

Huawei executive gets new bail term: Detention in a $16 million home
Speaking in Beijing on Thursday, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Geng Shuang again demanded Meng's release and return to China. Gibbs-Carsley said the Attorney General supports Meng's request to adjust her bail conditions to accommodate the move.

Rask comes up big as Boston Bruins advance to face ‘Canes
The Hurricanes reassigned forward Patrick Brown and defenseman Jake Bean to the Charlotte Checkers of the AHL. It was still 2-1 when Jordan Staal was sent off for roughing in the opening minute of the third period.

Kevin Durant Out For Rockets’ Series
The Warriors also said that after an MRI, Durant was diagnosed with a mild right calf strain and will be re-evaluated next week. On Thursday, Kerr, while disappointed in Durant's injury, expressed confidence in the team's chances in Game 6.

At least three security guards and two hotel personnel were killed and four wounded as the attackers battled members of the security forces on Saturday evening.

UN Deputy Spokesman Farhan Haq in a statement issued, here today, said the world body deplores all such attacks and reiterates that there can be no justification for terrorist acts. "Such attempts, especially in Balochistan are an effort to sabotage our economic projects and prosperity", he said.

The country's military forces released a statement on Sunday clarifying that there were only three gunmen involved and not four as previously thought.

Pakistani officials have said the security forces were on alert for attacks during the Muslim fasting month of Ramadan, which began in early May.

The Baloch Liberation Army (BLA), an ethnic Baloch separatist group fighting for independence for Balochistan province, claimed responsibility for the attack.

Gwadar, on the Balochistan seacoast, is the hub of a multibillion-dollar Chinese infrastructure project in Pakistan and a high-security priority for the government.

The region has been hit by low-level insurgent separatists who demand a greater share of the province's natural gas and mineral resources.

Share