Water park closes after surfer dies from 'brain-eating' bacteria

Share

"'Fab, ' as family and friends would call him, was an avid outdoorsman".

The 29-year-old man died in New Jersey in September after falling ill with Naegleria fowleri.

BSR Cable Park owner Stuart E. Parsons Jr. said the parks' "hearts and prayers" were with the "family, friends and the New Jersey surf community during this hard time".

Naegleria fowleri is known as the "brain-eating amoeba" and is usually found in warm fresh water. Symptoms of the disease typically begin one to nine days after the amoeba has entered the body, with people dying one to 18 days after symptoms begin.

He was diagnosed with the deadly bug the day before he died.

Naegleria fowleri infections are rare.

The water park has been temporarily closed pending an investigation by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Elon Musk turns to army of Tesla volunteers to hit targets
However, if found guilty, Musk stood to lose a lot more than $20m and could have been ousted as CEO of the company. Even after the stock's slide from last year's peak, Tesla is valued at $45.2 billion in the stock market.

Strong typhoon passes near Okinawa; set to hit mainland
East Japan Railway stopped all train services in and around Tokyo at 8:00 pm, shortly before the typhoon hit the Japanese capital. This is the second major typhoon to threaten Japan in as many months, as the country is still recovering from Typhoon Jebi.

Google turns 20 today: A journey from 1998 to 2018
Google says that it uses the same technology as Google News Full Coverage to show different perspectives on the same story . Activity Cards will surface "where you left off in search ", showing you previous pages/sites visited and previous queries.

"BSR Surf Resort operates a state of the art artificial man-made wave", he said.

In a statement it said: "CDC is testing water samples for Naegleria fowleri and will be working with the health department on recommendations to provide the facility on how to reduce potential exposures".

Parsons said the park has voluntarily closed pending the results of the CDC testing.

In the wake of Stabile's death his family founded the Fabrizio Stabile Foundation for Naegleria Fowleri Awareness - which has raised more than $22,000 in less than a week via a GoFundMe page.

"By the time Fabrizio was diagnosed, it was too late to administer the drug that had previously been provided to three of the only five known survivors in North America", the GoFundMe page said.

It causes the nervous-system infection primary amebic meningoencephalitis (PAM) by traveling up a person's nostrils and into their brain, but can not be transmitted if a person swallows water contaminated with the bug.

The infection can not be passed from person to person and typically occurs during the summer months of July, August and September.

Share